ERROR juju.cmd.juju.commands bootstrap.go:675 failed to bootstrap model: cannot star t bootstrap instance: cannot set up groups: failed to create a rule for the security group

Hello.

Please help me for this case :
ERROR juju.cmd.juju.commands bootstrap.go:675 failed to bootstrap model: cannot star t bootstrap instance: cannot set up groups: failed to create a rule for the security group wi th id: 3d9990a4-3cac-4152-9526-a89641b99a9b

Hi, thanks for the info. We’d love to help. Can you provide some more details? I don’t recognize that dashboard screenshot. What provider are you on? My guess is that your account credentials don’t have the ability to set security groups and that’s why it failed but I’d have to look into it more to tell for sure.

What version of Juju are you on? What command did you use to bootstrap?

Thanks for the additional details.

@ilhamsp I kinda recognise this error. Is this in relation to bootstrapping a controller inside of an Openstack deployment?

I ran around for months trying to achieve this. In the end I got it working by putting down the glance simplestreams sync charm on the Openstack model so that Images were automatically synced into glance and so that Juju could get the correct image metadata from glance.

Also see Bug #1806985 “Juju might not be recognzing some OpenStack enviro...” : Bugs : juju
See comment Fabrizio Cardarello (f.cardarello)

You may also need to bootstrap with some additional arguments to tell which network inside openstack to use. This one did the magic for me :grinning:

juju bootstrap openstack.devzero.co.za --constraints "mem=1024M" --config network=0b84cc79-6ae2-4ed1-81d4-fb7e72c22f8b --config use-floating-ip=true --config autocert-dns-name=juju.openstack.devzero.co.za --debug

1 Like

Whelp. Sorry to hear this. Glad to hear that you figured it out!

Sorry, I don’t quite follow what you did to unblock yourself here. I’m not a heavy openstack user, but I think understanding the fix will help to squish that bug you’ve pointed to.

OpenStack charmers have a charm called Glance Simplestreams Sync which makes a life a lot easier so you do not have to mess with https://docs.jujucharms.com/cloud-image-metadata which has traditionally been a hurdle that often popped up on irc.

This charm provides a service that syncs your OpenStack cloud’s
available OS images in OpenStack Glance with the available images from
a set of simplestreams mirrors, by default using
cloud-images.ubuntu.com.

1 Like