Documentation in Discourse now synchronised to web

As a follow up to my post entitled Documentation migrated to Discourse another phase is now complete. Updates to initial topic posts in the Docs category are now published, pretty much instantaneously, on the documentation web site: docs.jujucharms.com. :man_cartwheeling: The home page and the commands page are treated separately.

At the top of docs.jujucharms.com there are links to both the documentation web site (redundant?) and Discourse:

At the bottom of each documentation web page there is a blurb pointing readers to the corresponding Discourse topic if they wish to improve upon it:

5 Likes

Just a thought: is “Discourse” the best name for that link? I’m not sure if many people know what Discourse is. Maybe just “Forum” or “Community” or something?

5 Likes

Agree. I also think that the subdomain should be changed too to reflect that purpose rather than be the name of the tool.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. That’s what the Snapcraft site does as well.

You mean replace jujucharms.com?

I suspect he means using community.jujucharms.com instead of discourse.jujucharms.com, which I support too.

1 Like

Ah ok. Yes, I agree as well. Possibly use the term “forum” instead of “discourse” everywhere.

Yes that is what I meant. Thanks @merlijn-sebrechts

Unfortunately just now we have been told that we need to keep the moniker discourse. While I’m not overly fond of it, it is what we have just now.

Hello, the web-team is moving subdomains to the main domains and navigation across products and websites. E.g. the recent move (see here) from docs.jujucharms.com to jaas.ai/docs. Discourse.jujucharms.com will move as well.
About ‘Discourse’ as a name, that is also something that will need to work across websites and products to be consistent everywhere.

1 Like

I’m afraid that moving from discourse.jujucharms.com to e.g. jaas.ai/discourse will trigger another wave of broken Google links. Many google results point to discussions on this forum. There are also a bunch of blogposts and AskUbuntu answers linking here.

Is it possible to do the migration in a way that existing google results point to the correct url?

I’m sure we’ll have permanent redirects in place for discourse.jujucharms.com -> jaas.ai/discourse if that is where they end up landing.

Yes @merlijn-sebrechts this is how it will be handled